I am now *open* for review requests. Check out my Review Policy Page for more info

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

New Adult Month Interview: Ana Bastow



1. What is NA to you?
It's when the characters are starting to challenge themselves by making choices they didn't had to as children/teens. Is having to face the consequences of ones actions, usually for the first time in their lives.

2. New Adult: Genre or Category?
Category the genre is too young to have conventions and tropes just yet. Category is good enough for the moment. It also give us more freedom as writers and readers to experiment and create.

3. What made you want to write for NA?
It just happened. I didn't even knew about the genre until I did research in to where I should list it. My leading lady just happened to start telling me her story halfway through college.

4. What do you see for the future of NA?
I see only good things. People seem to be interesting in exploring this stage on everyone lives through fiction more everyday. I think we will have NA movies in no time!

5. What do you love most about writing NA?
The challenges and knowing that my characters can figure things out for the first time. A lot more room to make mistake and struggle without looking immature.

6. What writing tips would you give to aspiring writers?
I don't think I'm qualified to give advice. We all have our different demons to fight.

The best I could say is "Whatever you are struggling with now you are not alone many other writers dealt with the same issue. Many failed but many others conquered. Try your best to overcome it and count yourself among the ones that made it."

May the muses have mercy of our words.

7. Would you like to share something about your book?
It's a cozy college romance with nerdy protagonists. I think we are ready to see some STEM characters falling in love. My leading lady is an ambitious physics student. She wants to be the first one to out this discovery so she can win a Nobel prize. But along the way she discovers love, lies and her true self. Her life changes forever.

8. What gave you the idea for your book?
I actually write fairytales and I was toying with the idea of writing something in a contemporary setting. It started with a simple premise: “What if a scientist were to discover that magic is real and not only real, she is immune to it?”. I made some notes and drawings for a few months. But it was not until March, 23 2011 while I was visiting Spokane that I could start writing. I had a vision in the bridge while watching the water flowing: my leading couple was having their first dance and their first kiss. The story grew overnight from there until I had enough material for three books, maybe more. It was a magical experience.

9. Where can readers find your books?
Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLY4MW2
Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/hypothesis-the-hekapolis-trilogy-1
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hypothesis-the-hekapolis-trilogy-1-ana-bastow/1117926537?ean=2940148860211

No comments:

Post a Comment